Travel Insurance for Visitors to Canada and Persons Awaiting Provincial Health Coverage
We strongly recommend that clients contact
of our insurance agents so that we may learn about your
insurance needs and circumstances, and so we can quote on plans most
appropriate to your situation. Consultation with an insurance agent
is especially important if you are concerned about covering a
pre-existing medical condition and/or pregnancy/maternity care.
Please see our Quotation
Request Form to review the information we ask about so
that we can offer you a well-informed proposal.
About 'Visitors to Canada' (VTC) Insurance:Many Canadian insurance companies market “Visitors to Canada” medical insurance. This type of medical plan is essentially “travel health insurance” for visitors designed to cover unexpected medical emergencies. This type of plan does not cover routine or non-emergency health care for a chronic condition. In response to an unforeseen medical emergency due to sickness or injury, visitor plans cover the initial emergency medical care, and only a limited degree of follow-up consultation. On Emergency Plans the insurer has the right to require the policy holder to return to their country of origin for continuing medical care, once he or she has been declared medically fit to travel home.
Insurance for Parents & Grandparents Super Visa
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has specific requirements of applicants to the Super Visa with respect to medical insurance. Applicants are required to submit proof of a private medical insurance policy which:
- Is valid for a minimum of one year
- Is issued from a Canadian Insurance Company
- Has a minimum coverage limit of $100,000
- Covers health care, hospitalization, and repatriation expenses
- Is valid for each (I.E. multiple) entry into Canada
- Is available for review by a port of entry officer
Visitors and their Sponsors are advised to select a medical plan that satisfies both:
- CIC’s Super Visa application requirements, and
- Their particular needs / preferences which could include:
b) Coverage for travel outside Canada
c) Payment of premium over installments vs. full payment up front
d) Choice of deductible
DCIS Preferred Providers for Visitors to Canada insurance:
- Application Form (Paper) - Apply by Email, Fax or Mail
- Monthly Payment Authorization Form (for PG-1 Super-Visa Applicants Only)
- Plan Brochure
- Policy Wording for Enhanced and Standard Plans
- Policy Wording for Basic Plan
- Rate Sheet
- Application Form (Paper)
- Detailed Medical Questionnaire - (Optional: Use if seeking a medically underwritten quotation)(PDF)
- Rates Sheet (PDF)
- Policy Wording (PDF)
- VTC Claim Form (PDF)
The Visitors to Canada Plan is available for purchase online using
the secure online
Once you are in the webpage for online purchasing:
1. Click the “Buy Now” button or click “Buy Travel Insurance” in the menu on the left.
2. Then click the circle for Visitor to Canada and continue completing the form.
Updated: Nov, 2021
RSA Travel Insurance plans are not available at this time.
Updated: June 18, 2019
To apply for insurance:
Print the application form, complete it, sign it and submit to DCIS
by Email, Fax or Mail:
- Email the application form(s) with credit card payment to DCIS
- Fax the application form(s) with credit card payment information to Fax Number 604.228.9807
- Mail the application form(s) with credit card payment, or with cheque/money order payable to David Cummings Insurance Services, to David Cummings Insurance Services
Suite 350 - 2083 Alma St.
Vancouver, BC V6R 4N6